The gifts of the Foundation have ranged from a modest contribution of $25 for church improvements in 1965 to a momentous gift of $10 million for a trust to support higher education in Georgia. It is no exaggeration to say that Callaway Foundation, Inc. has made a town and strengthened a state. Since 1943, public and private institutions and programs in the fields of religion, charity and education have been greatly enhanced by gifts totaling more than $275 million. Even after such giving, assets of approximately $200 million still remain and, by asset size, the Foundation ranks 30th among the hundreds of private foundations in the southeastern United States. Knowledgeable governing boards of the Foundation, along with skilled investment managers, have artfully grown modest start-up contributions of less than $1.5 million to such levels.